Thursday, November 06, 2008

Happy 18th Birthday Natalie.

I was what people often call, a fool, for thinking that it was just my 18th birthday.

And I have decided to craft my words carefully, thoughtfully and as best as I can, because people deserve it. They deserve my love and my deepest thanks. 

As an early celebration, 24 of my dear friends positioned themselves strategically along the East-West Line from City Hall to Tampines. Through organization and detailed planning, they appeared through the door, at every stop, one after the other, with pleasant surprises :) And yes, they made me cry.

Trust me when I say this: my journey home has been altered, forever. Each time the train goes by City Hall and beyond, I remember each face and gift, and I smile! Just as Nah said, it was the bestest birthday celebration anyone could possibly have :)

So after the emotions, smiles and plenty of thanks, I sat down and spent a little time with God. Guess what He began showing me? Flashbacks of every stop, every person and what it all meant.

There are 3 groups of people that I need to thank: Those that came in at every stop, those that were on the train with me right through the journey and those who weren't present at all. (God had something to say about each group.)

Each one of them came in with special gifts of all sorts. They took steps into my life, and stayed, just like they stayed on the train. They blessed my heart, made my adrenaline levels hit an all time high and gave me joy. 

To Carissa, Germaine, Kenneth Heng, Amanda, Ian, Zheng Yi, Sherman, Yong Sheng, David Lau, Jae, Marvin, Charmaine, Cordelia, Ming Wei, Shawn, Ivy, Yi Hui, Abby, Terese, Aaron, Samuel and Charles, thank you all for being the people who have walked into my life and blessed it so significantly. Thanks for taking the time to celebrate with me :) 

And to the special ones who stayed with me right through and even before the journey, thank you for sticking by me, for being closest ones. I don't have many words, but I believe you know my heart so I shan't say more. 

To Bean Friend and Vanessa, thank you for organizing and being the busy bees just to carry the surprise to ultimate completion :) You've really stuck by me, just to watch me enjoy my moments in different seasons in my life.

Lastly, to those who weren't there to join in the celebrations, thank you for all your wishes! Regardless of which media you used, I received your wishes with my heart and I've appreciated more thoughts than I've ever had for a long while now. 

To Mom, Dad and Nicky, this year's usual routine turned out extra sweet because of you. Thank you Mom and Dad, for the cake and extraordinary gifts with such significant meanings :) And Nicky, just come home.

I was greeted by wishes, gifts and people in school as well. I've not stopped smiling just yet! Special thanks to Stacie (HamHam), Jayasri, Genevieve and Tutorial B :) You made today joyful.



At the end of the day, I'm left to wonder how I was made so special, to deserve family and friends like them. 

You have all given me value, you know? 

This 18th birthday, wasn't about me (though it felt like it enough). It was about people :) And I love this time of year, because I'm always, always reminded that people really matter to people.

From the heart, thank you everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home